Friday, January 24, 2014

Fab Friday... Home Edition

Haaaaaaappy Friday!  It's been a crazy short week filled with snow and crazy low temps for the DC area, so sleeping in inside my warm cozy bed tomorrow will be especially nice.

Fab Finds aren't just limited to the stores.  They can come from your grandparents house, your mom's basement, your basement... So today's finds are some family finds, some other rooms in my house finds and of course some Home Goods finds, that accessorized my no stranger to blogland... Ikea Vittsjo shelving unit. As seen here...

I used this fab find as a room divider between my open dining/living combination.  I love using open shelving as a divider because it does it's job separating spaces, but still give you the open feel.  And because I can't ever leave well enough alone when it comes to design, I spray painted it gold.  So without further ado, here she is with all her added touches and muuuuuuuch debated styling...

So first up is this awesome pink vase/vessel that I found at Home Goods on a trip specific to find only items for this shelf.  After I gathered what I had, it needed more, so off to Home Goods it was.  It does it's job well, it adds my much desired pink for the pop of color and it adds some much needed height.  At only $14, it was fo sho a fab find.

Next up, the stack of dishes...


These were my grandmother's.  I have about a million Sunday dinner memories on these plates.  Piles of spaghetti and manacotti and lasagna piled up on these plates for many, many years even prior to my existence. So these girls have some wear on them.  The kind of wear that you just can't find in a store and definitely not the kind of heart that you can find in a store.  And pink and gold... it's like she meant them to be mine over 60 or so years ago when she and my grandfather were married and got this china.  They've both passed about 15 years ago, so this stack will always have a special place in my home.  And never shut up in a cabinet.  

Another special find is my tea set.


My great grandmother got me this tea set I think when I was around 3 or so.  It has over 30 years of love and wear on it and like those plates, holds a special place in my heart and home.  And over those 35 years or so I've only lost one of the saucers and the top to the sugar jar. Through many, many moves since I was 3, it's amazing how I've managed to keep it in tact. 

Onto another Home Goods find, those amazing rose gold boxes.  


Staying true to our childhood, an empty box can cause pure joy.  They were $3 and definitely add so much style to that shelf that I can hardly take it.  I swear I admire those boxes when I walk by or sit and watch tv just about every day!  (And what shelf would be complete without a copy of the Domino or Perfectly Imperfect Home book?!) 

Last but not least, an antique store find.


You can't really tell in this picture, but the vase is a light shade of pink.  I can't think of anything better than a milk glass vase except a pink milk glass vase!!!  She was only $12!!  There was no way that she wasn't coming home with me.  And next to a tea cup from my grandmother's china, the two go together like they have been dating for years!! (How awesome is the flower on the inside of the cup too?)  I may sound like I'm 85 and on my front porch rocker, but they totally don't make things like they used to and that tea cup and milk glass vase are perfect examples of that!

So there's my shelf and it's Fab Finds that live on it.  Hope everyone has an awesome weekend and if you're struck by those single digit temps this week like I am, STAY WARM!!

Stylishly yours,
Jaime











No comments:

Post a Comment